easyJet is a low cost airline that, together with Ryanair, leads the air market within Europe. According to user opinions, it has a number of advantages and disadvantages over Ryanair, as well as several services in common. What are its main characteristics?
Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.
EasyJet Airline Company Limited is a British airline of low cost flights based in the London Luton Airport (LTN). Its history dates back to October 1995, when easyJet began operations with a flight from London-Luton to Glasgow. At present, its fleet has 201 aircraft.
However, the recent departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union (EU), better known as'Brexit', has forced the airline to apply for an air operator certificate (AOC) in another EU country in order to continue operating as a European company.
Today easyJet operates close to 600 routes throughout Europe and more than 100 between Europe and some airports in North Africa. Alicante, Barcelona, Bilbao, Gran Canaria, Ibiza, Madrid, Majorca (Palma), Santiago de Compostela, Sevilla, Tenerife South and Valencia are some of its main destinations from Spain.
It should be noted that in order to book easyJet for the first time, users must register and Log In on its official website, in the section My easyJet, which can be accessed from this link. In addition, registering with easyJet brings a series of advantages such as access to promotions, special offers, etc.
easyJet and UNICEF They signed an international alliance in 2012, where their commitment to work together for the rights of children and the improvement of the situation of child poverty around the world was made public. Collaboration is part of the global program Change for good and it is possible to donate to support the cause.
In 2016, the British airline revolutionized the market with the launch of some smart sneakers, baptized with the name of sneakers. The novelty is that they have a built-in GPS, so that they indicate the way to go through the vibrations of the feet.
EasyJet shoes are connected via Bluetooth technology via an app for mobile devices. The objective, according to the airline, is to allow tourists to enjoy themselves without the need to consult maps or mobile phones.
EasyJet advantages over Ryanair
Air passengers often compare easyJet airlines and Ryanair when establishing the pros and cons of each.
To begin with, the most widely held opinion is that easyJet's regulations on checked baggage are less stringent, given that the standard limit for checked baggage is 20 kg, while in Ryanair you must choose between 15 or 20 kg.
Other highly valued aspects compared to the Irish Ryanair are:
- Departure from main airports- Unlike Ryanair, easyJet also takes off from major airports. This avoids having to add additional taxi, train or car costs.
- There is no weight limit for carry-on luggage- As long as your carry-on fits in easyJet-enabled hand luggage meters next to their check-in counters, weight doesn't matter.
- Agility in boarding: usually, easyJet enables two stairs to get on the plane, one at the front and the other at the back to speed up boarding and avoid Overbooking.
- Puntuality: easyJet is a very rigorous airline with its departure and arrival times.
- EasyJet Plus card: for the price of £ 170 you can access the benefits of the easyJet Plus card, including seat assignment included on all flights, dedicated baggage drop-off counters, service Speedy boarding (priority boarding) ...
- Service rent-a-car: The company collaborates with the car rental company Europcar, so that it has exclusive offers to easyJet passengers who wish to rent a car when leaving the airport.
On the other hand, both airlines of flights they have several characteristics in common. For example, in recent years they have strengthened their price transparency policy with marked rigor so that the user does not run into unexpected extra charges.
Although these low cost airlines do not have a free catering service and press on board, they do distribute a free magazine published by the company itself during the flight. In it they usually inform about their routes and different destinations, as well as other characteristics.
In addition, both offer the possibility of transporting children's equipment free of charge apart from your piece of hand luggage and the luggage you check in. Thus, the transport of baby carriages is free and will travel in the hold of the plane.
Both companies allow you to check the status of flights live. If you are going to fly with easyJet, doing so is very simple through its website, in the section Flight Tracker, which you can access from this link. You can search either by flight number or by origin / destination.
Main disadvantages and problems
What we show below is a compilation of the main complaints and opinions based on comments from those who have previously flown with this airline of British origin:
- One piece of hand luggage- One of the main complaints about easyJet is that it allows only one piece of carry-on luggage. Therefore, if you want to carry a second package, you must pay the corresponding fee.
- Disappearance of catering service and press: Unlike traditional airlines, on easyJet the on-board catering and press service is not free.
- Telephone number 902: easyJet's customer service phone number is 902 59 99 00, that is, a toll number. An alternative is to complete the contact form that you can access through this link.
- Excessive punctuality: Given the strictness of their schedules, our advice is that easyJet airline passengers are at the airport earlier than usual. Otherwise, they run the risk of missing the flight.
- Automatic seat assignment: seat assignment is done automatically and randomly during ticket purchase; To choose a seat, an extra fee must be paid.
- Excess carry-on luggage: Although there is no weight limit for the handbag, if it does not fit in the luggage meter, you will have to pay an additional fee.
- WiFi- Like most cheap airlines, easyJet does not offer WiFi on board.
- Flight canceled: after the purchase of a ticket, the airline reserves the right to cancel, divert, postpone or deny boarding without prior notification if it is justified that the flight has been impossible to make for reasons beyond its control.
Another disadvantage of easyJet is that the price of its tickets is non-refundable, a feature that it also shares with Ryanair.
However, it does allow a change in flight date, although for this an extra charge must be paid. If you notify more than 60 days in advance, the commission will be lower than if you do it in a shorter period.
Changes can be made in the "Manage your reservations" section, which you can access by clicking on this link.
Checked baggage and carry-on bag
easyJet considers checked baggage to be the transport of larger suitcases or backpacks, as well as musical instruments or sports equipment. Here are the basic requirements that you must meet:
- Dimensions: each piece of luggage that you are going to check in must have dimensions of 275 cm (length + width + height), with the exception of sports equipment or medical equipment.
- Weight :: the standard weight applied to checked baggage must not exceed 20 kg. If this weight limit is exceeded, you will have to pay an extra fee for each extra kilo, being able to do this until reaching a maximum weight of 32 kg; From this figure, the transport of said luggage will not be allowed for health and safety reasons.
- Combinable checked baggage: easyJet also enables the option of combining luggage between passengers, so, for example, if two passengers travel in the same reservation, the maximum limit for both is 40 kg. However, the weight is combinable, so that one of the passengers could carry 18 kg and the other 22 kg.
For hand luggage, the airline establishes maximum dimensions of 50 x 40 x 20 cm (handles and wheels included) without weight limit.
You can check that your hand luggage meets these requirements on the baggage meters that easyJet sets up next to its check-in counters at the airport.
If the measurements of your hand luggage reach 56 x 45 x 25 cm, then they do not ensure that your cabin luggage will be able to travel with you if the plane is very full. In this case, your piece of hand luggage would travel in the hold of the plane without additional costs.
For more information about hand luggage, you can consult our article Hand luggage on easyJet.
Top photo by Aero Icarus.
This article has been shared 48 times. We have spent many hours collecting this information. If you liked it, share it, please: