Tacos are a popular food originally from Mexico that consists of a corn or wheat flour tortilla filled with different ingredients. Its history dates back to pre-Columbian times, when they were prepared on hot stones with dog or turkey meat, also known as turkey. In this article, we explain how to prepare the original Mexican tacos and we explain what types there are.
Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.
In most supermarkets it is easy to find packages of ready-made tortillas. However, if you want to make them yourself, it is quite a task. simple and fast. The ingredients that are needed are these:
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 XNUMX/XNUMX cups of water
- Sal Island
The water has to be somewhat warm. With these amounts, you can make approximately fifteen tortillas or pancakes. On the other hand, to prepare the classic filling of Mexican tacos you need the following:
- 400 g of ground beef or chicken
- 400g grated cheddar cheese
- 150 g chopped onion
- 1 Tomate
- Half lettuce
- 100 ml of aceite oliva
First of all, to prepare the tortillas, you have to add salt to the hot water and dissolve it. Then, put the cornmeal in a container and add and mix the water until it becomes a soft dough.
With this mass, balls are made, which are spread and flattened with the help of a rolling pin. In a pan with a little hot oil, cook over low heat until both sides are golden brown.
Also, to prepare the filling, first the meat is seasoned and fried with garlic and oil. This is added to the tortilla along with the chopped lettuce and onion, the tomato cut into cubes and the grated cheese. Each diner can serve red or green sauce to their liking, depending on whether they want the taco more or less spicy.
There are hundreds of types of tacos that we can find throughout Mexico, because in each area of the country different varieties have been developed, characterized both by the ingredients of the filling and by the method of preparation. Here are some of the most typical:
- they were created in Cuernavaca, Morelos. They are prepared with a double tortilla and are filled with red rice, stuffed chili, steak and milanesa or jerky.
- it is one of the most traditional recipes. The meat is marinated pork and is preserved in a roll called spin. This is accompanied by achiote (a spice), orange, vinegar and pepper. She is originally from Mexico DF
- It is so called because the taco has a large amount of sauce, which can be beans, tomatoes, etc.
- They are typical of Puebla. They have Arab influence because the tortilla is made of pita bread. The filling is made of pork, onion, thyme, lemon and a vinegary sauce.
- Of wire
- They have beef and chili peppers, ingredients on which melted cheese is put.
- the meat used is from the beef tripe, which is fried. They are popular in northwestern Mexico.
- tortillas are small, steamed in a pot called steamer. Therefore, they are said to be sweaty. They are typical of the north.
- inside they carry typical Mexican dishes such as pork loin entomatado or chiles filled with cheese. You can buy them at street stalls in Mexico City.
- From jamaica
- This is a vegan recipe, as it does not have meat, but cooked hibiscus flower (a plant), cooked nopales (cactus), avocado, onion and garlic.
- By nana
- the meat is from the uterus or womb of the pig, which is mixed with guts.
- Of nopales
- Cooked nopal, which is a type of cactus, is incorporated into the filling.
- Of fish
- it is typical of Baja California and Baja California Sur. It has breaded and fried fish accompanied by pico de gallo (a salad), green sauce, mayonnaise and cabbage.
- By suadero
- On two fried tortillas put suadero (beef), coriander, onion, lemon, salt and sauce.
- shredded meat is rolled up in a yellow corn tortilla and fried. The result is a crispy, flute-shaped taco.
- its origin is in León, Guanajuato. They are made up of potatoes, chicharrón (pork-based food) and beans. This is wrapped with an omelet and steamed.
- This typical Zacatecas taco is made up of a large corn tortilla browned in oil and filled with refried beans with cheese.
- the ingredient that differentiates this variety is shrimp, a type of small shellfish.
- the tortilla is filled with tilapia (a fish), chili or habanero pepper, avocado and green cabbage.
- It is made mainly in Mexico City. It carries jerky and pork rinds.
The price of these tacos varies, since the value of some ingredients is greater than another. In addition, it also depends on whether we prepare it ourselves or order it in a restaurant.
This article has been shared 52 times. We have spent many hours collecting this information. If you liked it, share it, please: