It is possible to travel throughout much of Europe with a single document, such as a DNI or passport, thanks to the Schengen Agreement. However, depending on your country of origin, you may need to apply for a visa. Therefore, we explain the entry requirements as well as other formalities, among which are the European Health Card and the recommended vaccines for this territory.

Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.

Required Documentation

Depending on your nationality, the documents you need to travel in Europe vary. Some people just need their DNI or NIE, while others must apply for a visa.


The members of the countries that belong to the Schengen area they do not need identification to travel to any member state of this treaty. However, it is advisable to carry at least your DNI (National Identity Document), since in most airports they request it.

There is some European Union countries which they are not part of this agreement, but they have circulation agreements, so you can enter them with your ID. They are the following territories:

  • Bulgaria
  • Cyprus
  • Croatia
  • Ireland
  • United Kingdom
  • Romania

If you want to know which countries are included in the Schengen area, you can find out in the following article: The Schengen area and the Member States of the European Union.

In the same way, if you are a foreigner residing in any of these territories, such as Spain, and you have a NIE (Foreigner Identity Number), you can also travel through the Schengen area.

However, to go to the countries of the European Union that do not belong to the Schengen area, you will have to meet other specific conditions, so they may request a passport or visa.

Passport Number

People from certain states can travel to Europe without applying for a visa, just with their passport. For this, it must be valid for at least three months after leaving Europe and must have been issued in the last 10 years.

Travelers from these territories can stay on the mainland for a maximum of three months. They are as follows:

  • A: Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia
  • B: Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei
  • C: Canada, Chile, Colombia, South Korea, Costa Rica
  • D: Dominican
  • E: El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, United States
  • G: Grenada, Guatemala
  • H: Honduras, Hong Kong
  • I: Israel, Marshall Islands, Solomon Islands
  • J: Japan
  • K: Kiribati
  • M: Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro
  • N: Nauru, Nicaragua, New Zealand
  • P: Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru
  • S: Samoa, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Holy See, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore
  • T: East Timor, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu
  • U: Uruguay
  • V: Vanuatu, Venezuela

Schengen visa

The rest of the countries, including Bolivia, Ecuador and the Dominican Republic, require a visa. If you are going to visit a territory in the Schengen area, you can apply for a visa with the same name, which allows you to move throughout this area for a maximum of three months.

This permission is requested in a Diplomatic Mission or Consular Office belonging to the country to which you are going to travel. Although the details may vary, as a general rule the following documentation should be carried:

  • Visa and photo application form
  • Passport with a minimum validity of three months on the expiration date of the visa
  • Round trip ticket or documentation of the private vehicle
  • Hotel reservation or invitation letter from a relative
  • Proof of having sufficient financial resources
  • Travel insurance that covers a minimum of € 30.000 and includes repatriation and emergency medical expenses
  • Pay a fee of € 60

To enter European countries that are not part of the Schengen area, you must consult the particular conditions of each one, as these may vary.

Other requirements

If you are European and you are traveling with a niño under 14 years old, he only needs to bring the Family Book or the Birth Certificate. From that age, it is recommended to bring your DNI. In addition, if they travel alone, parents must formalize an authorization. Minors from other countries must register the same documents as adults.

As for the Pets, citizens of the European Union can travel with dog, cat or ferret carrying the European pet passport.

If you go to Finland, Ireland, Malta o United Kingdom, an Echinococcus tapeworm treatment must be additionally carried out, which must be administered between 24 and 120 hours before the trip.

Pets from any country must have an electronic microchip or legible tattoo applied before July 3, 2011. In addition, the rabies vaccine is mandatory.

For other animals such as rabbits or birds, the national regulations of each country should be consulted. A maximum of five pets can be brought per person.

Health card and vaccines

European citizens can apply for the European Health Insurance Card (TSE), which covers medical expenses due to accident or illness in the member countries of the European Economic Area and Switzerland. It is free and valid for two years. If you travel without a European health card, you will have to bear the costs.

Medications can be brought but they must be in the original box and with a prescription. Regarding vaccines, there is no obligation and only those common to any country are recommended:

  • Tetanus-diphtheria
  • MMR (measles, rubella and mumps)
  • Hepatitis A

Questions from users

Being from a foreign country, what are the requirements to travel to Europe with an Italian passport?

If you have an Italian passport, you can travel in Europe without any restrictions, since you have the same rights as any Italian citizen.

How much money should I bring for a trip to Europe?

Depending on the country, to be granted a Schengen visa, you have to have between € 30 and € 90 for each day of travel.

Can I travel to Europe for more than three months?

In principle, the tourist visa is for a maximum of three months, not extendable. If you want to stay longer, you will have to apply for a long-term visa.

This article has been shared 89 times. We have spent many hours collecting this information. If you liked it, share it, please: