If a minor is traveling alone By planeWhether at the national level or in another country, it is important to know the requirements in this regard. Depending on the airline, the minimum age to do so varies. In addition, some airlines have an escort service, while others do not allow children to travel alone.
Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.
If your child is traveling alone By planeIt is important to know that there are some companies that limit this action, as they do not have an accompaniment service. Some of them are the following:
- easyJet: Children under 14 must travel with an adult 16 years or older.
- Ryanair: Unaccompanied minors under 16 are not allowed. They must go with a passenger over 16 years old.
- Viva Aerobus: up to 13 years old they must be accompanied by an adult over 18 years old From 14 to 17 they can go alone with permission.
- Wizzair: children under 14 must be accompanied by a person over 16 years old.
Other companies have some type of escort service for minors and therefore are not as restrictive. With these airlines, with exceptions, children from 5 years old can travel. The particular conditions are these:
- Aeromexico: Children between the ages of 5 and 13 will fly with the Unaccompanied Minor Service (UMNR). It has a cost of 646 Mexican pesos for domestic routes and 116 dollars for international flights.
- Air Europa: the escort service (UM) is mandatory for minors between 5 and 11 years old (up to 14 years old on international flights). Children ages 12 to 17 have the optional Young People service. These options are available on flights with a maximum stopover of 5 hours. The rate ranges between € 35 and € 120, depending on the flight.
- American Airlines: young people between 5 and 7 years old who fly direct flights have an accompaniment benefit. Between 8 and 14, on any trip. From the age of 15 it is optional to contract the service. Children between 2 and 14 years old can be accompanied by a person over 16 years old.
- Avianca: Escort service is mandatory for children between 5 and 11 years old, but they are not allowed to make more than two stopovers or stay overnight at the connecting airport. It is optional for people 12 to 17 years old. A young person between the ages of 12 and 17 cannot take care of a minor under 12, unless he is the minor's father.
- Iberia: Children between 5 and 11 years old have a compulsory escort service. For young people between 12 and 17 years old it is optional.
- Interjet: Assistance is contracted for people between 5 and 17 years old.
- Jetblue: children between 5 and 14 minors will have special help as long as the flight is nonstop and they pay $ 100. If they are older, additional assistance can be requested. Minors between 2 and 13 years old can be accompanied by a person over 14 years old.
- LATAM (LAN): the escort service is mandatory for children between 5 and 12 years old, optional if they are older.
- Volaris: minors between the ages of 5 and 11 have to hire the "Volaris accompanies you" service, optional for older people. Children between 2 and 4 years old can go with a family member between 12 and 17 years old, but they must purchase the escort service. They must arrive at the airport of origin with an adult.
- Vueling: if they are between 5 and 11 years old, they can travel alone with the Minors' Accompaniment Service (UM), which costs between € 45 and € 55, or with a person over 16 years of age. The benefit is optional between the ages of 12 and 17, but if they are traveling alone, they may be asked for an authorization.
In the case of hiring one of the assistance services offered by these companies, it will be necessary to fill in a form in which the data of the person who is going to take the minor to the airport and the one who is going to pick him up once the plane appears land. In general, it must be requested in advance, when purchasing the plane ticket.
The documentation that a minor who flies only needs depends on his age and the destination to which he is going. It is best to bring your own identification document whatever the circumstances.
In the case of Spain, if the child is under 14 years old and travels within the country, they do not need to bring anything. If you are flying abroad or are over 14 years old, you must have an ID or passport.
In addition, if they travel abroad without parents and do not have a passport, the parents or legal guardians must formalize a permit or authorization at the police, for which they will have to present the family book.
As for most Latin American countries, such as Mexico, if the minor travels abroad, they also need authorization. Also, if you fly with only one parent, whether they are divorced or not, the other parent needs to authorize the departure.
As we have indicated previously, if the minor opts for the assistance service, a form must be filled out. If not hired, the airline may request an authorization.
Questions from users
Can children travel alone by plane from Mexico?
They can, but they must carry a signed document in which both parents or guardians authorize their trip. It must be signed before a notary or with the relevant authority.
What is the documentation to travel by plane with children within Argentina?
In principle, no additional writing is necessary to the identity document. However, if the minor flies with only one parent, the other must be informed of the trip.
Can a minor travel only to the United States (USA)?
Yes you can, but depending on the country of origin, you may need an authorization from your parents or legal guardians.
Fecha: 17 / 01 / 2017
This article has been shared 34 times. We have spent many hours collecting this information. If you liked it, share it, please: