The documentation and the necessary requirements to travel to Peru vary according to the visitor's country of origin, the reason for the trip and the duration of the trip. In this article we give you some tips and explain the most important aspects to take into account.

Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.

Required Documentation

Depending on the country of origin, more or fewer documents are required to enter Peru. Some countries require a passport and visa, while others just require an identity document.

Do you need a passport to travel to Peru?

The passport is a Essential requirements. Indispensable requirements to travel to Peru. It is needed by all the countries of the world except for the following, which only require the National Identity Document (DNI):

  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • Bolivia
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Ecuador
  • Paraguay
  • Uruguay
  • Venezuela

For other countries, the passport must be valid for at least six months at the time of entry to Peru. To obtain it, you must request a prior appointment with the authorities of your country.

Do I need a visa?

If you are going to visit Peru as a tourist, the maximum length of stay is 183 non-extendable days. The countries that they do need a visa tourist to enter the country are:

  • A: Angola, Algeria, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Albania, Armenia and Azerbaijan
  • B: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Bangladesh, Bahrain, Bhutan and Bosnia Herzegovina
  • C: Costa Rica, Cuba, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Ivory Coast, Cambodia and China People's Republic
  • D: Djibouti
  • E: The Savior, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia and United Arab Emirates
  • G: Guatemala, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Equatorial Guinea and Georgia
  • H: Haiti and Honduras
  • I: India, Iran and Iraq
  • J: Jordan
  • K: Kenya, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Kuwait
  • L: Lisotho, Liberia, Libya and Lebanon
  • M: Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mozambique, Maldives, Mongolia and Myanmar
  • N: Nicaragua, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria and Nepal
  • P: Pakistan
  • Q: Qatari
  • R: Central African Republic, Rwanda, Democratic People's Republic of Korea and Lao People's Democratic Republic
  • S: Western Sahara, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Swaziland, Sri Lanka and Syria
  • T:Tanzania,Togo, Tunisia, Tajikistan, Timor Leste, Turkmenistan and Turkey
  • U: Uganda and Uzbekistan
  • V: Viet Nam
  • Y: Yemeni
  • Z: Zaire, Zambia and Zimbabwe

The rest of the countries, among which are Ecuador, Venezuela, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Spain and Mexico, among others, They do not need tourist visa.

If you travel to Peru for other reasons, you must apply for a visa, except for citizens of member countries of the Schengen area (European Union). The latter, if they go to Peru for business, studies and journalism for a maximum of 90 days, they do not need a visa.

As for students from the rest of the territories, they must apply for a 90-day visa, extendable at the DIGEMIN (General Directorate of Migration and Naturalization) and valid for up to six months after delivery.

In the case of business visa, has a maximum validity of 183 days and is also mandatory for all countries, except the European Union, Brazil and Indonesia. It is valid for twelve months from its date of issue.

Other visas are the artist, religious, worker, diplomat and journalist. These grant 90 days of leave and are valid for six months from their issue.

The price of the visa is between 15 and $ 30, depending on the type that is requested, and the procedures are carried out at the Consulate of Peru in the traveler's country.

Requirements to travel to Peru with children

In case you travel to Peru with your minor children, they must carry their own passport, with a minimum validity of six months at the time of travel.

Although it is not mandatory, it is advisable to travel with the family book, since it is the document that proves the relationship of children with their parents and will be useful if any setback arises during the trip.

If the minor is going to travel alone, Peruvian law does not demand no authorization. Despite this, it is recommended and required by travel agencies. For this authorization, the identity document of the parents and the child are required.

Conditions for vehicles

The fastest way to travel to Peru is by plane. The formalities for those who choose this means of transport are given by each airline (weight of the suitcase, billing, etc.).

However, some citizens of neighboring countries such as Colombia or Ecuador decide to use the land route to enter the country. They must meet the following requirements:

  • Have the vehicle documentation in order, either car or motorcycle
  • Driver's Driver's License
  • That the driver is the owner of the vehicle. If a third party is driving, a notarized authorization from the owner is required

Likewise, the vehicle needs an authorization to indicate that it enters the country for tourist purposes. It can be obtained in two different ways:

  • Customs Steps Book: it is issued by the associations that are part of the Inter-American Federation of Automobile Clubs (FIAC) or the International Automobile Federation (FAI). It is also allowed Passages card in Douannes of the International Tourism Alliance (AIT) or the International Association of the Automobile Club Reconnus (AIACR). It is valid for one year.
  • Temporary Internment Certificate: granted according to the Supreme Decree of temporary internment of vehicles for tourist purposes. It is issued by Peruvian customs and must be presented when leaving the country. It is valid for a maximum period of 90 days.

Travel with pet

Is allowed travel with pets to Peru. In the case of dogs and cats, they must have an Export Certificate and a Veterinary Certificate in which the following information appears:

  • Animal health. That it is in optimal conditions to travel.
  • Vaccination. In both dogs and cats, rabies should be included.
  • Deworming. It must be done within three days before the trip.
  • The date of issue of both certificates must be within the ten days prior to the trip.

It is forbidden to enter CONEJOS from Spain, since they can carry two exotic diseases in Peru, which are Myxomatosis and Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease. For other animals, such as ferrets and birds, two requirements must be taken into account.

The first of these is a Sanitary Import Permit that is requested at SENASA (National Service for Agri-food Health and Quality) before shipment. The second, a Sanitary Inspection carried out by SENASA at the point of entry from Peru.


There is no mandatory vaccination to enter the country. However, it is advisable to get vaccinated for chickenpox, in the case in which the traveler has never had it, and for Hepatitis A.

If you plan to go to jungle areas such as the Amazon, vaccination against Hepatitis B and yellow fever. The latter must be supplied 10 days before the trip to take effect.

Likewise, measures should be taken against mosquito bites. To avoid altitude sickness, also known as mountain sickness, you should gradually ascend, eat light food and drink plenty of fluids.

Gastrointestinal infections can be avoided by drinking bottled or boiled water. On the other hand, care must be taken with raw foods and with foods prepared in street stalls.

This article has been shared 811 times. We have spent many hours collecting this information. If you liked it, share it, please: