Each country requires a series of documents and requirements necessary to travel that the international tourist must know and strictly comply with in order to avoid problems once they arrive in the country. The passport is the basic document along with others such as the visa, the international driving license and the vaccination card, among others that we show you below.

Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.

If you want specific information to travel to a specific destinationYou just have to click on the country in this list that is of interest to you:

Basic requirements: ID and passport

The national identity document or citizenship card is a public document by which each citizen is identified. It is a personal and non-transferable document that contains the personal data of each one, including nationality, full name, date of birth, place of residence ...

Second, the passport is the basic travel document and, as such, it has international validity. It is used to identify its owner and can only be requested from the authorities of their respective country. Its function is to authorize the exit or entry into another foreign country.

Having a valid passport is a basic requirement as soon as you start preparing for a trip. Now: Spanish citizens who are going to move between Member States belonging to the Schengen area they can travel only with the identity card. All other travelers must apply for a passport.

If your passport is not valid, is in poor condition or both, you must change it for a new one. Its expiration date appears on the printed sheet with your data and it will be then when you will have to get a new one. Since 2006, all Spanish passports are electronic or biometric. The cost in Spain is 26,02 €.

In Spain, both DNI and passport can be renewed at the different processing offices after make an appointment via Internet. You can access this service by clicking on this link or take a look at the help document in PDF format. You can request an appointment as long as you are the holder of a DNI or NIE.

Tourist visa and others

A visa or visa is another form of conditional authorization granted by a certain country, since entry and stay in that country is allowed temporarily, so it is mandatory to leave it after a certain period of time.

There are multiple types of visa, including those listed below:

  • Tourist visa: Getting a tourist visa implies that you are going to travel for pleasure, with the intention of knowing the country simply, so you cannot work or do business, only spend money. It usually lasts between 1 and 6 months.
  • Transit visa: issued to citizens who have to stop in a country to go to their destination. It is usually valid for a period equal to or less than 3 days.
  • Student visa: must be requested by all foreigners who are going to spend a period of studies enrolled in an educational center in the country of destination. The duration is usually longer.
  • Work visa: as long as there is an employment contract involved when applying for the visa, it will be possible to travel to another country to work. Normally, it is possible to renew it.

In addition, there are one, two and multiple entry visas. This last type has the advantage that it allows the traveler to enter the country of destination on multiple occasions while the visa is in force and the duration does not exceed the allowed time period.

Keep in mind that, to apply for a visa, most countries require the presentation of pictures Recent and fill out an application form. It is mandatory to present a valid passport, since the visa is attached to a blank page of it.

Travel insurance

Travel insurance is defined as a service that provides assistance to the traveler in the event of an incident during the duration of their trip. Most insurances of these characteristics cover the cancellation of the trip, loss of luggage, illness, repatriation, etc.

The travel assistance companies are responsible for managing this service. The European Union (EU), for example, requires the contracting of a travel insurance called Schengen insurance according to Regulation (EC) No. 810 / 2009, according to which "applicants for a uniform visa […] must demonstrate that they have adequate and valid travel medical insurance".

European citizens who are going to travel to a EU Member State do not need to take out health insurance because they are fully covered thanks to the European sanitary card (TSE). This personal and non-transferable document allows the European citizen to receive the necessary health benefits during their stay in a country of the European Economic Area (EEA). For your request and more information, you can click this link.

The TSE is only issued to children or dependents of the main breadwinner of the family or those who have an indefinite employment contract. In the event that the contract is of a fixed duration, the substitute provisional certificate.

Some international airlines also offer travel cancellation insurance. Airlines like Ryanair, Iberia, the easy family of brands., etc. They offer their own insurance or have agreements with insurance companies, although it is recommended to read carefully what is included and what is not in each one.

International vaccination

El Ministry of Health Spanish has set up International Vaccination Centers throughout the Spanish geography in order to prevent the spread of diseases when traveling to other countries, especially if it is a country considered endemic. You can request an appointment by clicking on this link.

Depending on the travel destination, travelers may be at risk of contracting different infectious diseases, depending on the infectious agents found in the place visited. The risk often depends on factors such as the quality of housing, sanitation, hygiene and traveler behavior.

The most common diseases are those transmitted by food and water, including:

  • Traveler's diarrhea
  • Hepatitis A
  • Typhoid fever
  • Anger

Before starting their trip, all travelers are recommended to find out about the risk of contracting an infectious or viral disease in the country of destination, as well as preventive measures. There is no specific vaccination schedule, but it depends on the vaccination history of each person, the destination, the duration of the trip ...

Vaccines recommended by the Ministry of Health

The vaccines recommended in accordance with the Spanish Ministry of Health to be minimally protected regardless of the country are:

  • polio
  • Yellow fever
  • Rage
  • Hepatitis A and / or E
  • Meningococcus
  • Anger
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • Tick ​​encephalitis

If traveling with children, going to the pediatrician or family doctor's office before traveling is advisable, since it is a good opportunity to check the vaccination status and determine if it will be necessary to vaccinate or make a reminder of diphtheria vaccines, tetanus, hepatitis B, influenza or tuberculosis, among others.

Air shipments are the most efficient if you need your cargo or documents to arrive quickly and securely. antimalarialThey, like doxycycline, should be taken whenever you travel to a country where malaria is present, a serious disease that can cause death if not treated immediately. You should take one dose a day and start 1 to 2 days before traveling to the area where you are at risk of getting malaria.

Other immigration procedures

Spanish citizens do not need to apply for the international driving license if your destination country is part of the EU. On the other hand, if they are going to travel to a foreign country they must request the international permit from the DGT (General Directorate of Traffic).

To apply, you must be the holder of a valid driving license. In addition, you must request and fill out an official form available at the Traffic Headquarters and the official website of the DGT (www.dgt.es). You can find more information in this fact sheet on international permit.

Some international tourists are required to present to the consulate a certificate or proof of financial solvency, that is, it is a question of being able to demonstrate that they have sufficient financial means to cover their accommodation and meals during the planned stay in the destination country. Mexico requires this requirement to enter, for example.

In other cases, it is also an essential requirement to present a Letter of Invitation in favor of the foreigner who wishes to enter the country. It is a necessary procedure to be able to welcome family members or friends who are not citizens in the destination country and are going to stay there for a limited period of time.

In order for a Spaniard to request an invitation letter, they must make the request to the Police Station of their place of residence, proving their identity through their DNI or, failing that, a foreigner's identity card. It is not necessary to provide documents related to the identity of the guest or the link between them.

This article has been shared 112 times. We have spent many hours collecting this information. If you liked it, share it, please: