Mexico is a Latin American country located in North America whose official language is Spanish. According to data collected by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), Mexico is the most touristic country in Latin America and one of the most visited in the world, due to its great cultural diversity. In what follows we inform you about the documentation you will need to travel to Mexico, either as a tourist or to live, work or study there.

Below you have an index with all the points that we are going to deal with in this article.

Required Documentation

These are the common documents for all foreign citizens who wish to enter Mexico:

  • Valid passport: ordinary, diplomatic or service.
  • Return plane ticket: the period of stay in Mexico for tourist reasons cannot exceed 180 days. You must not only show the return ticket, but also a document that proves the place or places where you will stay during your stay. Thus, if we are going to stay in a hotel, we will have to show the reservation form; If, on the other hand, we are not going to stay at the house of a friend or relative, an immigration form will be necessary that is delivered on the plane during the outward journey. In it, the address of the domicile of the person with whom we are going to stay during the stay must appear, as well as their full name and a contact telephone number for the person.
  • Multiple Immigration Form (MMF): foreigners whose stay in the country is for tourist reasons and, therefore, does not exceed 180 days, will have to fill out the FMM, a document under which we accredit our immigration status as non-immigrants, since our stay is considered short-term . You can find more information about the FMM in the following article: What is the FMM and how is it achieved?
  • Economic solvency: it must be proven that we have sufficient financial means to cover the accommodation and living expenses that we have during our planned stay in the country.

Migratory Forms (FM)

Apart from the FMM, the Mexican State makes other Migratory Forms available to foreign citizens depending on the reason for the trip:

  • FMVL: Applies to the local maritime visitor.
  • FMT: applies to foreign tourists.
  • IMF: Applies to business persons (as trader-investor, professional, business visitor or by transfer of personnel) from the US and Canada.
  • FME: Applies to Mexican citizens themselves for statistical purposes for the times they enter and leave the country.
  • FM3: applies to non-immigrants who will temporarily reside in the country.
  • FM2: It is applied as an immigrant (person who acquires residence rights in the country) and immigrant, in any of the following modalities: artist / athlete, trust, assimilated, scientific, family member, investor, rentier, technician or professional.
  • FMVC: it applies to visitors and advisers with business reasons, in any of these modalities: transfer of personnel, business visitor, adviser or technician.
  • FM6: applies to transmigrants (people who enter Mexico in the middle of another trip; for example, a citizen of Guatemala who wants to travel to the US and makes a stopover in Mexico).
  • FMVA: Applies to temporary agricultural visitors who cross the southern border of the country (Chiapas).


Countries that do not need a visa

Below we list in alphabetical order the countries whose citizens, if they travel for tourist reasons, do not require a visa to cross the border of Mexico:

  • A: Germany, Argentina, Andorra, Aruba, Anguilla, Australia, Netherlands Antilles, and Austria.
  • B: Bahamas, Belize, Barbados, Brazil, Belgium and Bulgaria.
  • C: Canada, South Korea, Chile, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Croatia and Colombia.
  • D: Denmark.
  • E: Slovakia, United States, Slovenia, Estonia and Spain.
  • F: Finland and France.
  • G: Gibraltar, Guadeloupe, Greece, French Guiana and Greenland.
  • H: Hong Kong and Hungary.
  • I: Ireland, Marshall Islands, Iceland, Christmas Islands, Azores Islands, Niue Islands, Bermuda Islands, Norfolk Islands, Cayman Islands, Pitcairn Islands, Cocos Islands, Reunion Islands, Cook Islands, US Virgin Islands, Faroe Islands, Islands Wallis and Futura, Guam Islands, British Virgin Islands, Falkland Islands, Israel, Marine Islands and Italy.
  • J: Jamaica and Japan.
  • L: Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg.
  • M: Macau, Martinique, Mahore, Micronesia, Malaysia, Monaco, Malta and Montserrat.
  • N: Norway, New Caledonia and New Zealand.
  • O: Oman.
  • P: French Polynesia, the Netherlands, Palau, Poland, Panama, Portugal, Paraguay, Puerto Rico and Peru.
  • R: United Kingdom, Czech Republic and Romania.
  • S: American Samoa, Singapore, Sweden, San Marino, Saint Helena and Switzerland.
  • T: Trinidad and Tobago, Tokelau, British Indian Ocean Territory and Turks and Caicos.
  • U: Uruguay.
  • V: Venezuela.

In any case, when passing through the immigration review filter, they must present the following documents:

  • Valid passport or national identity document.
  • FMM duly completed.
  • Form that shows the hotel reservation, plane ticket back to the country of origin or itinerary in case of having contracted a tourist itinerary
  • Letter in Spanish from the foreign company responsible for the interested party's trip in which it is stated that said person is an employee of this company and that the remuneration for the services they are going to provide in Mexico will be at their own expense.
  • Letter from the institution or public organization in which the foreign person is invited to participate in some unpaid activity in Mexican territory, in which they must state the reason for the trip and its duration. If said institution is going to cover any expenses derived from the trip, it will also have to attach a letter stating this responsibility.
  • Letter of acceptance or invitation from a Mexican educational body in which the interested party is invited to participate in an activity or course, or to participate in a research project for a maximum period of 80 days.

Countries that need a visa

Citizens of the countries listed below must apply to a Mexican Embassy or Consulate for a Visitor Visa without permission when their stay is for tourist reasons and does not exceed 180 days:

  • A: Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Antigua and Barbuda, and Azerbaijan.
  • B: Bahrain, Bangladesh, Botswana Brunei Darusalam, Belarus, Burkina Faso, Benin, Burundi, Bolivia, Bhutan, and Bosnia-Herzegovina.
  • C: Cape Verde, Congo, Cambodia, Congo (Zaire), North Korea, Cameroon, Chad, Ivory Coast, China, Cuba and Comoros.
  • D: Djibouti, Dominican Republic and Dominica.
  • E: Ecuador, United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Eritrea, El Salvador and Ethiopia.
  • F: Russian Federation, the Philippines and the Fiji Islands.
  • G: Gabon, Guatemala, Gambia, Guinea, Georgia, Guinea, Georgia, Guinea Bissau, Ghana, Equatorial Guinea, Grenada and Guyana.
  • H: Haiti and Honduras.
  • I: India, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Solomon Islands, Seychelles Islands.
  • J: Jordan.
  • K: Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kenya, Kuwait and Kyrgyzstan.
  • L: Laos, Liberia, Lesotho, Libya and Lebanon.
  • M: Macedonia, Muritania, Madagascar, Myanmar, Malawi, Moldova, Maldives, Mongolia, Mali, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique and Mauritius.
  • N: Namibia, Nicaragua, Niger, Nauru, Nepal and Nigeria.
  • O: Oman.
  • P: Pakistan, Palestine and Papua New Guinea.
  • Q:Qatar.
  • R: Central African Republic, Rwanda and Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic.
  • S: Western Samoa, Sierra Leone, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Syria, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Somalia, Saint Lucia, Sri Lanka, Holy See, South Africa, Sao Tome and Principe, Sudan, Senegal, Suriname, Serbia and Swaziland.
  • T: Thailand, Taiwan, Tonga, Tunisia Tanzania, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Turkey, East Timor, Togo, and Tuvalu.
  • U: Ukraine, Uganda and Uzbekistan.
  • V: Vanuatu and Vietnam.
  • Y: Yemen.
  • Z: Zambia and Zimbabwe.

However, those foreign citizens from any of the above countries who present any of the following documents will be exempt from applying for a visa:

  • Supporting document proving that you are a permanent citizen in the US, Canada, Japan, United Kingdom, or any member country of the Schengen area.
  • Valid and current US visa.
  • APEC Business Traveler Card (APEC Business Travel Card)
  • Certificate proving that the person concerned is a member of the crew of the aircraft with which it arrives in the country

APEC Business Traveler Card

Promoted by the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Forum (APEC), this card is a document that facilitates migration to the United Mexican States for business purposes. The objective is to encourage free trade, as well as investment between countries. Specifically, this document allows fast and efficient travel to APEC member countries, which we cite below:

  • A: Australia.
  • B: Brunei Darussalam
  • HHong Kong.
  • I: Indonesian.
  • R: Russia and the People's Republic of China.
  • S: Singapore
  • T: Thailand and Taiwan.
  • V: Viet Nam.


Before proceeding to start the import process to Mexico, we must meet the following requirements:

  1. Enroll in List of importers and Federal taxpayer registration.
  2. Have a current tax situation.
  3. Having a Advanced Electronic Signature.
  4. Hire the services of a agent or customs agent
  5. Carry out the assignment conferred on said agent or customs representative
  6. Load with spending of uses and applicable contributions, storage, loading and unloading, and transportation of the merchandise.
  7. Comply with the tariff regulations of each type of merchandise.

Once we have followed all the previous steps, in order to import into the country we will have to present these documents:

  • Motion in the official form approved by the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP).
  • Customs regime to which the merchandise is intended to be destined.
  • Data for the determination and payment of foreign trade taxes.
  • Payment details for transitional measures or countervailing duties (if any).
  • Facts about the the origin, weight checked and costumes of the merchandise.
  • Document in which compliance with the regulations and non-tariff restrictions is accredited.
  • Bar code, electronic signature or confidential number of the customs agent's office.

If you want more information about it, we recommend you consult this link.

Labor migration

If we want to work temporarily in Mexico, then it will be enough to request an FM3. However, if our intention is to work indefinitely in the country, in that case we must request an FM2, with which we will obtain residence permits in the country. This visa can only be processed in Mexico and is only granted if we present the following documentation:

  • Process of proof of the employer: This document authorizes a Mexican businessman to extend a job offer to a foreign citizen. Its validity is one year.
  • Visa authorization for job offer: Through this document, authorization is obtained from the National Immigration Institute to obtain a work permit in Mexico. Thus, the interested party will be provided with an Internment Permit, with which she will have to go to the Mexican Consulate, and pass an interview so that the work visa (FM2) is finally granted. Once you arrive in Mexico with said visa, the foreigner will be granted the Residence Card after completing the procedure called Exchange.

However, there are three exceptional cases in which the foreign citizen can apply for a work visa in Mexico even if they have previously entered the country as a tourist:

  • If the interested party has a direct family relationship with a foreigner who has a residence permit in Mexico (parents, children or spouse).
  • If the interested party has a direct family relationship with a person of Mexican nationality (parents, children or spouse).
  • If the interested party marries a person of Mexican nationality during their stay as a tourist, that is, during the 180 days allowed to visitors as tourists.

Border Worker Visiting Card

The Border Worker Visiting Card is intended for citizens Belizeans y Guatemalans who have a job offer to work in one of the following southern border states: Campeche, Chiapas, Tabasco y Quintana Roo. With this card, in addition, it is possible to leave and enter the country as many times as desired. To obtain this card, all interested persons will have to submit mandatory:

  • Two front photos
  • A profile photograph
  • Proof of payment of the corresponding rights (according to the Federal Law of Rights)
  • Document in free writing where the employer or his legal representative accredits the job offer to which the interested party is subscribed.

However, depending on whether you come from Belize or Guatemala, you will have to present different documentation. Here we show you:

Belizean citizens:

  • Passport or national identity document.
  • Valid and current travel document.

Guatemalan citizens:

  • Passport or national identity document.
  • Personal Identification Document (DPI).
  • Valid and current travel document.

Binational Mexico-New Zealand Agreement

In 2007, Mexico and New Zealand signed the agreement by which the Vacation and Work Program Thanks to which Mexican citizens and New Zealanders can travel freely between these countries to work temporarily. Here are the requirements that New Zealand citizens must meet:

  • Have New Zealand nationality.
  • Be 18 to 30 years old.
  • Possess economic independence.
  • Have a return ticket or demonstrate that you have sufficient financial solvency to purchase it.
  • Have financial solvency for the expenses derived from the maintenance and accommodation during the stay in Mexico.
  • Have medical and hospitalization insurance during your stay in Mexico.


Foreign citizens from the USA or other countries do not need a visa if their study period is not longer than 6 months, which means that it will be sufficient to present an FMM. However, they must present the following documents:

  • Valid passport: together with a photocopy of the page on which the passport number, personal data, photo, signature and corresponding visas appear.
  • Two passport-size photos: if possible, in which the interested party does not wear glasses.
  • Letter of admission from the Mexican educational center where the interested party is going to study: the recipient must be the Consulate General of Mexico in Taleigh. The original letter must be sent along with the following information: full name, date of birth and passport number of the interested party; name of the course in which you have been admitted; course start date or deadline until which the student can enroll or enroll; duration or completion date of the course; cost of tuition; reasons why the interested person is going to study at said educational center; Identifying data of the institution: personal data of the person in charge of the educational center.
  • Economic solvency: in which it is shown that the student has $ 300.00 USC per month.

Mexico-Canada Youth Mobility Program

This program is promoted by the Memorandum of Understanding for the mobility of Canadian and Mexican Youth.

It is intended to promote the mobility of young people of both nationalities between these countries for one of the following purposes:

  • Study
  • Work temporarily
  • Perform professional practices

In addition, it is possible to carry out several of these activities at the same time during the stay.

You can get detailed information about this program by clicking on this link.

Resident status

Foreigners who wish to remain in Mexican territory as residents will have to opt for one of the following conditions:

  • Temporary resident: This condition authorizes foreigners to reside in Mexico for a period not exceeding four years. During this period, the citizen has a paid work permit and, in addition, the right to enter and leave as many times as he wishes.
  • Temporary student resident: the foreigner is authorized to stay in the country during the entire period of the course, training period or research project to be carried out in any educational center belonging to the national educational system.
  • Permanent resident: this permit authorizes foreigners to obtain permanent residence in the country, with the right to work in exchange for remuneration.

For more information, we recommend you click on this link.


If you travel only to Mexico City and its surroundings, then it will not be necessary to establish a vaccination schedule. However, if our destination is the Riviera Maya or Cancun, for example, it is advisable to get vaccinated against the following diseases:

  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Tetanus and diphtheria (TD)
  • Typhoid fever

It is also advisable to take preventive measures such as drink bottled water; never drink water from sources, rivers or taps; wash the fruit before taking it; and use a Dengue, for which there is no vaccine yet.

This article has been shared 1696 times. We have spent many hours collecting this information. If you liked it, share it, please: